Monday, October 26, 2009

Coming Full Circle

It has been almost one year since my last real vacation. I say a real vacation because I do not really consider trips where you can be reached by cell phone a vacation, even though one can just turn it off and disconnect from the real world.

I discovered last year that the only way to travel is to get out of the country, hence my 16 day excursion to Bangkok. It was a very memorable experience, some highlights were the princesses procession, Thai Boxing and getting caught up in social unrest. Plus the biggest advantage is you have to turn the cell phone off because it is too expensive to answer.

The destination this year will be Chile and Argentina. The cities I will be visiting are Santiago, Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales and El Calafate (Argentina). Here is a rough itinerary:
Santiago Oct. 30-Nov. 1
Nov. 1 - Depart Santiago 6am arrive Punta Arenas, three hour bus ride to Puerto Natales, four nights at Hotel Florence Dixie
Nov. 2 - Perito Moreno Glacier, five hour bus ride to El Calafate
Nov. 3 - Paine Towers National Park
Nov. 4 - Sailing excursion by Last Hope Fiord to Serrano Balmaceda Glacier
Nov. 5 - Transfer back to Punta Arenas and afternoon penguin colony excursion, one night at Carpa Manzano
Nov. 6 - Wander around Punta Arenas
Nov. 7 - 1:40am flight back to Santiago...yes that's a.m., I read the military time wrong when booking the flight
Nov. 8 - 10:20pm departure to Atlanta, arrive in Raleigh 10am Nov. 9

Well this is the rough plan and I cannot wait. Enjoy the ride.

No comments: